- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) cold butter, cut into chunks
- 2 pounds rhubarb, rinsed, ends trimmed, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- calories 351
- caloriesfromfat 41 %
- protein 4.3 g
- fat 16 g
- satfat 7.6 g
- carbohydrate 50 g
- fiber 1.4 g
- sodium 197 mg
- cholesterol 31 mg
How to Make It
In a bowl, mix flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, almonds, lemon peel, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and the salt. With a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, at low speed, or with your fingers, beat or rub in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs and begins to come together.
In large bowl, mix rhubarb, remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Pour into an 8-inch square baking pan and spread level. Sprinkle evenly with flour mixture.
Bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until juices are bubbly and topping is golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes (40 to 45 minutes in convection oven).
To toast the almonds, spread them in a baking pan and bake in a 350° oven until golden under skins, 8 to 10 minutes.