The Reubenesque Sandwich
Based on the ever popular Reuben, this sandwich is made with smoked turkey instead of corned beef and coarsely chopped coleslaw, for crunch.
Yield: MAKES 4 SANDWICHES
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 1/2 cups thickly sliced green cabbage
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped sweet gherkins
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices of rye bread
- 3/4 pound Jarlsberg cheese, cut into 16 thin slices
- 1 pound smoked turkey breast, cut into 16 slices
- 1.In a medium bowl, mix the ketchup and mayonnaise. Add the green cabbage, onion, sweet gherkins, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- 2.Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet. Add 2 slices of the rye bread to the skillet and top each with 2 slices of Jarlsberg cheese, then 4 slices of smoked turkey, about 1/2 cup of coleslaw, 2 more slices of Jarlsberg and another slice of bread. Cook the sandwiches over moderately low heat until the bottoms are toasted and the cheese on the bottom is melted, about 4 minutes. Turn the sandwiches over, press them down and add 1 more tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Cook until the second sides are browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plates and repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 2 more sandwiches.
- Wine Recommendation: Turkey, cheese, mayonnaise and ketchup on rye don't require a subtle match, just a cool glass of fruity, grapey Beaujolais-Villages from France, such as the 1996 Georges Duboeuf or the 1996 Louis Jadot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine