There seems to be a typo in this recipe. The same recipe in the All-New Ultimate Southern Living cookbook calls for 2 t. salt, not 1/2 t. That may resolve the problem others have pointed out here. I have not made this recipe yet and just guessed on the star rating, but I felt I had to correct this issue for others when I noticed it. When I make them, I will revise my star rating.
Refrigerator Yeast Rolls
More From Southern Living
Stand: 5 Minutes
Chill: 8 Hours
Rise: 45 Minutes
Bake: 10 Minutes
- 1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (105° to 115°)
- 6 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Orange Butter
- 1. Stir together yeast and warm water in a medium bowl; let mixture stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly; stir in yeast mixture and eggs just until blended. (Do not overmix.) Cover and chill 8 hours.
- 3. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a well-floured surface (dough will be soft); cut with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter, rerolling dough scraps as needed.
- 4. Brush rounds with melted butter. Make a crease across each round with a knife, and fold rounds in half, gently pressing edges together to seal. Place in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan and a 9-inch round cake pan. (Edges of dough should touch.) Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- 5. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake rolls 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Serve with Orange Butter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note