Southern Living DECEMBER 2008
1. Stir together yeast and warm water in a medium bowl; let mixture stand 5 minutes.
2. Stir together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly; stir in yeast mixture and eggs just until blended. (Do not overmix.) Cover and chill 8 hours.
3. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a well-floured surface (dough will be soft); cut with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter, rerolling dough scraps as needed.
4. Brush rounds with melted butter. Make a crease across each round with a knife, and fold rounds in half, gently pressing edges together to seal. Place in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan and a 9-inch round cake pan. (Edges of dough should touch.) Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
5. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake rolls 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Serve with Orange Butter.
Go to Full Version of