Refried Beans with Spinach
If making up to 2 days ahead, cover and chill bean mixture and bacon separately. Reheat in a microwave oven or stir often over medium heat.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Calories from fat: 68%
- Protein: 8.1g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrate: 9.6g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 419mg
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- 1/2 pound bacon, coarsely chopped
- Mexican rancho pinto beans
- 2 quarts (6 oz.) spinach leaves or mustard greens, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (1/4 lb.) shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken broth or water (optional)
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir bacon until crisp, about 10 minutes. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on towels.
- 2. Add beans to drippings in pan; mash with a potato masher or beat with a mixer until creamy. Stir often over medium heat until hot, about 6 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, coarsely chop spinach. When beans are hot, add spinach; cover and stir occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in half the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. If beans are not as creamy as you like, stir in a little broth. Pour into a bowl and sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables