- 1/2 pound bacon, coarsely chopped
- Mexican rancho pinto beans
- 2 quarts (6 oz.) spinach leaves or mustard greens, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (1/4 lb.) shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken broth or water (optional)
- calories 224
- caloriesfromfat 68 %
- protein 8.1 g
- fat 17 g
- satfat 7.3 g
- carbohydrate 9.6 g
- fiber 2.9 g
- sodium 419 mg
- cholesterol 27 mg
How to Make It
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir bacon until crisp, about 10 minutes. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on towels.
Add beans to drippings in pan; mash with a potato masher or beat with a mixer until creamy. Stir often over medium heat until hot, about 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, coarsely chop spinach. When beans are hot, add spinach; cover and stir occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in half the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. If beans are not as creamy as you like, stir in a little broth. Pour into a bowl and sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon.