Redeye Gravy replaces milk gravy on top of David's Chicken-Fried Steak. Keep this recipe on hand for breakfast, too. Redeye Gravy is great served over hot baked biscuits.
This recipe goes with David's Chicken-Fried Steak with Redeye Gravy
More From Southern Living
Total: 45 Minutes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 thick smoked bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped smoked ham
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
- 1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add bacon, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until done. Add ham and next 3 ingredients; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is translucent. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Slowly whisk in milk and next 2 ingredients; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, 14 to 18 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in chives and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note