- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 thick smoked bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped smoked ham
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add bacon, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until done. Add ham and next 3 ingredients; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is translucent. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Slowly whisk in milk and next 2 ingredients; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, 14 to 18 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in chives and pepper.