We all loved this dessert! It's so light and the perfect ending to a heavy meal. I served it after a roast with gorgonzola stuffed tomatoes and roasted potatoes and it hit the spot. We are all full and very happy!
Red Wine Poached Pears
Photo: Leo Gong; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 357
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 63g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 18mg
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 navel orange, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 cinnamon stick (4 in. long), broken in half
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 Bartlett pears, peeled, halved, and cored
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1. In a 3- to 4-qt. saucepan, combine wine, orange pieces, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the cinnamon, cloves, and 2 cups water and bring to boil over high heat. Add pears, reduce heat to a simmer, and place on top of pears to submerge them in liquid. Cook, covered, until pears are tender when pierced, about 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together cheese, cream, and 2 tbsp. sugar until very thick. Serve pear halves in shallow bowls, each with about 1/4 cup of the poaching liquid and a dollop of the sweetened cheese. Save remaining liquid for another use, such as making hot spiced wine, if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts