- 1/2 gallon water
- 6 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon toasted coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 4 (1-inch) strips lemon rind
- 1 garlic head, halved crosswise
- 6 (8-ounce) bone-in beef short ribs
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 12 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup light agave nectar
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- calories 282
- fat 11.9 g
- satfat 4 g
- monofat 6.1 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 18 g
- carbohydrate 20 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 42 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 614 mg
- calcium 66 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 10 ingredients in a Dutch oven over high heat. Cook 8 minutes or until salt and sugar dissolve, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Cool completely. Place beef in brine; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove beef from brine; pat dry. Refrigerate, uncovered, 6 to 24 hours or until dry and tacky.
Heat a large enameled cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons oil; swirl to coat. Season beef with pepper. Place half of beef in pan; cook 15 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Discard oil. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 tablespoons oil and beef, reserving 1 tablespoon oil in pan.
Preheat oven to 325°. Add onion, celery, carrot, and grated garlic cloves to pan; cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently to scrape up browned bits. Add tomato paste and anchovies; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add oregano and paprika; cook 1 minute. Add wine, vinegar, and agave; simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is almost gone. Add stock; bring to a simmer.
Return beef to pan. Spoon vegetables over beef; simmer 5 minutes. Cover and braise at 325° for 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
Remove beef from pan. Cool liquid slightly; skim and discard fat from surface of liquid. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut beef across the grain into slices. Bring vegetable mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 3 cups or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Return beef to pan. Refrigerate overnight, or serve immediately.
Combine parsley, rind, and garlic. Sprinkle over beef.