I have been making this cake for several years at Christmas, it has become our family tradition. We skipped the peppermint the second year and liked it better. As mentioned before, there is always frosting left over.
Red Velvet Peppermint Cake
Transform a classic red velvet cake into a festive holiday dessert by adding peppermint extract to the rich cream cheese frosting and garnishing the cake with peppermint candies.
Yield: 1 (3-layer) cake
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (9-ounce) package yellow cake mix*
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- Garnishes: Holiday Trees, 6 (5-inch) red and white peppermint candy canes, crushed; 12 (5-inch) green candy canes, broken; 12 round peppermint candies
- Beat first 4 ingredients according to cake mix package directions.
- Beat yellow cake mix and next 6 ingredients according to package directions. Spoon red batter alternately with white batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Swirl batter gently with a knife.
- Bake at 350° for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- Spread Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. (Cake may be chilled up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month.) Garnish, if desired. Serve within 2 hours.
- *1 3/4 cups yellow cake mix may be substituted
- NOTE: For testing purposes only, we used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe White Cake Mix, Jiffy Golden Yellow Cake Mix, and McCormick Red Food Color.
- If cake is frozen, thaw completely before garnishing to prevent crushed candy from running. Do not refrigerate after garnishing.
- For testing purposes only, we used candy canes from the American Candy Company. Call 1-800-822-6398.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts
Food & Wine