These were easy to make and looked very pretty and festive. The peppermint flavour was really mild so if I made them again I would omit some of the vanilla extract for more peppermint.
Red Velvet-Peppermint Swirl Brownies
Red Velvet-Peppermint Swirl Brownies taste as good as they look. These showstopping brownies are moist, tasty, and swirling with color.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 50 Minutes
- 1 (4-oz.) bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (1-oz.) bottle red liquid food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil.
- 2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in 2 cups sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition. Add food coloring, peppermint extract, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Gently stir in 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/8 tsp. salt. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 3. Beat cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg whites and remaining 1 tsp. vanilla, and beat until blended. Stir in 2 Tbsp. flour until smooth. Drop cream cheese mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls over batter in pan; gently swirl with a knife.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 to 32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Lift brownies from pan, using foil sides as handles. Gently remove foil; cut brownies into squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note