The cupcakes turned out great. I only baked my for 17 minutes, and they were perfectly moist. I agree with some others...the frosting makes A LOT! But I was more disappointed in the consistency. It was so thin! I had my put my cupcakes in the fridge to keep it from running over the edges. I did keep the extra, and now I just add a bit more when I go to eat one. That seems to be working out!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Photo: Oxmoor House
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 33.5g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 168mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- Cooking spray
- 10 ounce cake flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (about 1 ounce)
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare the cupcakes, place 30 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; coat with cooking spray.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine cake flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and unsalted butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add white vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and food coloring; beat well.
- 4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire racks.
- 5. To prepare frosting, beat 5 tablespoons butter, 4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk, and cream cheese with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until smooth. Add 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla; beat well. Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes.
Also featured in: Cooking Light Lighten Up, America!, Oxmoor House, 2013
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts