- Cooking spray
- 10 ounce cake flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (about 1 ounce)
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- calories 205
- fat 7.3 g
- satfat 4.5 g
- monofat 2 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 2.3 g
- carbohydrate 33.5 g
- fiber 0.3 g
- cholesterol 34 mg
- iron 0.9 mg
- sodium 168 mg
- calcium 35 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare the cupcakes, place 30 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; coat with cooking spray.
Weigh or lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine cake flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and unsalted butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add white vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and food coloring; beat well.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire racks.
To prepare frosting, beat 5 tablespoons butter, 4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk, and cream cheese with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until smooth. Add 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla; beat well. Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes.