Red Velvet Cake
Indulge in one of the season's most treasured cakes. Our rich, creamy, and smooth Red Velvet Cake recipe will serve as a beautiful tablescape as well as a beloved Christmas Eve dessert tradition.
- 1 (18 1/4-oz.) pkg. fudge marble cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (1-oz.) bottle red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla Frosting:
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine dry cake mix, fudge marble packet and baking soda in a medium bowl; add remaining ingredients. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9" round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 20 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; turn out onto a wire rack. Cool completely; if desired, freeze layers overnight to make cake easier to frost. Spread vanilla frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Vanilla Frosting: Whisk flour and milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a medium bowl, blend butter and sugar; add chilled milk mixture. Beat for 8 minutes or until fluffy; stir in vanilla.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings