Wonderful! The orange adds a great flavor and you can sub out whatever dried fruit or nut you have in the cabinet.
Red Rice and Quinoa Salad with Orange and Pistachios
In this fluffy salad, Yotam Ottolenghi blends South American quinoa with nutty Camargue red rice from southern France. The salad gets a fruity sweetness from orange juice and zest and is delicious alongside roast chicken.
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour
- Calories: 402
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 56g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 10g
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup Camargue red rice, see Note
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios, chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- Bring 2 medium saucepans of salted water to a boil. Add the quinoa to 1 saucepan and the red rice to the other. Cover and simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 12 minutes for the quinoa and 35 minutes for the rice. Drain the grains and spread them out on baking sheets to cool.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, garlic and the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Add the quinoa, rice, onion, apricots, pistachios and scallions and toss well. Serve with the arugula.
Camargue red rice is available at specialty food and health food stores. Brown rice makes an excellent substitute.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This