More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- 3 bacon slices, diced
- 1 cup cubed, cooked ham
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/4 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup peeled and diced eggplant
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Hot sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 375º. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
- 2. Sauté ham and next 2 ingredients in hot drippings until well browned. Remove ham mixture, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Sauté onion, next 3 ingredients, and 1/2 tsp. salt in drippings 5 to 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic. Cook 2 minutes; stir in eggplant. Cook 5 minutes or until tender. Spoon mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3. Cook rice in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in skillet, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant and golden. Spoon rice over onion mixture in dish; top with ham mixture and bacon.
- 4. Sauté okra in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add wine, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in broth, next 5 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. salt; bring to a boil. Pour okra mixture over meat, and cover dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- 5. Bake at 375º for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve with hot sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes