I made this for a family gathering -- it was a hit! I added glazed pecans and sunflower seeds instead of walnuts and I also used a raspberry vinaigrette. Though no one had heard of quinoa, everyone asked me to make it again!
Red Quinoa Salad with Apples, Walnuts, and Dried Cranberries
Community Recipe from
- 1½ cups red quinoa
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large red onion, minced
- 4 oz. arugula, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 4 oz. aged Gouda, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large, crisp apple, such as Fuji or Pink Lady, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely sliced fennel
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a bowl, rinse the quinoa with water, rubbing it between your fingers for about 10 seconds. (It is necessary to rinse quinoa well before cooking because the seeds are coated with saponins, naturally-occurring plant chemicals that can taste bitter.) Drain and transfer it to a 3-quart pot. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender but still delicately crunchy, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the quinoa and return it to the pot. Cover and let the quinoa rest for 5 minutes; then fluff it with a fork. Let cool to room temperature.
- While the quinoa cooks, soak red onion in small bowl of water for approximately 30 minutes. Soaking the red onion will reduce its astringency.
- When quinoa has cooled, in a large bowl, mix the quinoa, onions, arugula, cheese, apple, walnuts, fennel, and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the sherry vinegar, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Add the dressing to the salad and gently mix it in. Let rest a moment; then season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more olive oil if the salad seems dry.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by DMVegan77 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Red Quinoa Salad with Apples, Walnuts, and Dried Cranberries Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Salads
More Recipes for Main Dishes