I made this thinking I'd be the only one in the house to eat it. The first and last time I made quinoa for the family my husband made it clear he did not care for the stuff. I served this salad over a bed of kale and he went on and on about how delicious it was - then ate a second helping! Oh yes, and I loved it too even though I did not have all of the fresh herbs. I'll be making this again and again.
Red Quinoa Salad
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- Calories: 460
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 24.7g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 14.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Carbohydrate: 48.4g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 499mg
- Calcium: 133mg
- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) diced seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup (1/2-inch) diced seeded cucumber
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1. Cook quinoa according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and place in a large bowl. Let cool 1 hour.
- 2. While quinoa cools, combine oil and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 20 minutes.
- 3. Add dressing, tomato, and next 4 ingredients (through chickpeas) to quinoa; toss well. Add cheese, and toss gently. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Kids Can Help: With a child-safe knife, kids can chop the tomatoes and cucumber, and then crumble the feta.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note