I've made this several times and everyone raves about it. In fact I rarely have leftovers. I added/changed a few things (personal preference). I added 2 cloves chopped garlic, 2 tablespoons of fresh basil chopped, and I substituted balsamic vinegar for the red wine vinegar. I also sprinkled more balsamic vinegar on mine after dishing it up. My family is addicted to balsamic vinegar so don't feel like you need to add it.
Red Quinoa Salad
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- Calories: 460
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 24.7g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 14.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Carbohydrate: 48.4g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 499mg
- Calcium: 133mg
- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) diced seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup (1/2-inch) diced seeded cucumber
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1. Cook quinoa according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and place in a large bowl. Let cool 1 hour.
- 2. While quinoa cools, combine oil and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 20 minutes.
- 3. Add dressing, tomato, and next 4 ingredients (through chickpeas) to quinoa; toss well. Add cheese, and toss gently. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Kids Can Help: With a child-safe knife, kids can chop the tomatoes and cucumber, and then crumble the feta.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note