Red Quinoa and Lentil Pilaf
More From Food & Wine
- 1 cup French green lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 onion
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound cauliflower, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped Marcona almonds
- Put the lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Add the bay leaf, thyme sprig, garlic and onion and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until the lentils are tender, about 18 minutes. Drain and discard the bay leaf, thyme, garlic and onion. Wipe out the pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil to the saucepan. Add the shallot, celery and carrot and cook over low heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the grains are tender and plump and the liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Add the cauliflower and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, toss the lentils with the quinoa, cauliflower, parsley and almonds. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This