I needed a side dish for a mushroom ravioli dinner (no sauce), so didn't add the quinoa or the poached eggs. I also used red swiss chard which makes it very colorful. It all blended wonderfully. Will try again as listed in the recipe.
Red Quinoa Bowl with Swiss Chard and Poached Egg
Technically a seed (so no gluten), quinoa is touted as a superfood for its high fiber and protein. The runny yolk of a poached egg creates a little sauce on top.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 483
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Sodium: 1232mg
- Cholesterol: 212mg
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- About 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into thick coins
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems chopped and leaves torn, divided
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 portabella mushroom, dark gills removed, then halved and cut into 1/2-in.-wide slices
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan with about 2 in. of water and the vinegar to a simmer; keep hot, covered.
- 2. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, carrot, and chard stems, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and mushroom; cook until mushroom softens, adding oil to pan if needed, about 2 minutes. Put chard leaves on top of vegetables, add 2 tbsp. water and the salt, and cook, covered, until leaves wilt, about 2 minutes. Stir in quinoa. Divide mixture between 2 bowls.
- 3. Crack an egg into a small dish. Using a slotted spoon, swirl simmering water in a circle, then slowly pour in egg. Cook until white firms and yolk is done the way you like (1 minute for softly set).
- 4. Lift egg out of water to top one of the quinoa bowls; repeat with second egg. Drizzle each bowl with 1 tbsp. oil and sprinkle with pepper and chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes