Red Quinoa and Lentil Pilaf
"The 21st Century Healthy Pantry" . Chef Akasha Richmond prepares healthy meals for vegans and omnivores at her Los Angelos restaurant, Akasha. This cauliflower-flecked pilaf is a fantastic, healthy meal in one dish. Chopped Marcona almonds add a super crunch; coconut oil adds an unexpected tropical flavor. Recipe published in Food & Wine: March 2012.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) French green lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 onion
- 2 tablespoon(s) coconut oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 celery rib,minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1/2 cup(s) red quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup(s) vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound(s) cauliflower
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup(s) coarsely chopped Marcona almonds
- 1. Put the lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Add the bay leaf, thyme sprig, garlic and onion and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until the lentils are tender, about 18 minutes. Drain and discard the bay leaf, thyme, garlic and onion. Wipe out the pot.
- 2. Add 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil to the saucepan. Add the shallot, celery and carrot and cook over low heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the grains are tender and plump and the liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Add the cauliflower and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, toss the lentils with the quinoa, cauliflower, parsley and almonds. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note