Red Pepper Soup
Spicy, but not too hot, it's a nice change from traditional rice soups.
Yield: serves 12 to 14
- 6 red peppers, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (32-oz.) cartons chicken broth
- 1/2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Garnish: croutons
- In a large Dutch oven, sauté red peppers, carrots, onions, celery and garlic in olive oil until tender. Stir in broth, rice, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables and rice are tender. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Puree in small batches in a food processor or blender, return to pan and add red pepper flakes. Heat through. Garnish with croutons.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note