This was a great, easy soup. It pureed well and was really creamy without adding fat and calories. I found it surprisingly spicy, because I don't usually equate bell peppers with spice and there wasn't much cayenne. I think I needed to blacken the peppers more than I did because the skins did not peel off easily. I also used an orange and yellow bell pepper because I had them and did not get the beautiful color of the soup in the picture. I'll definitely make this again, it was quick and easy. I might cut the peppers and cauliflower into small pieces and leave some texture in the soup next time.
Red Pepper-Cauliflower Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 191
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 5.2g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Sodium: 787mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 6 large red bell peppers, stemmed and cored, halved lengthwise, and pressed flat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- Chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- 1. Preheat broiler to high. Arrange bell peppers skin side up on baking sheet. Broil, watching carefully, until skins are blackened, about 10 minutes. Remove peppers from oven and let cool. Peel over a bowl to collect juices; set peppers and juices aside.
- 2. In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Add shallots, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring until soft, 3 minutes. Add broth and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Add peppers with juices and cook, covered, until cauliflower is tender, 10 minutes. Purée in batches in a blender and add sugar. Add pepper to taste.
- 3. Serve hot or cold, garnished with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, some chives, and a squeeze of lemon juice if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews