- 1 head red cabbage (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- About 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 firm-ripe red-skin pears (5 to 6 oz. each)
- 1/2 cup chopped chives or green onions
- calories 62
- caloriesfromfat 4.4 %
- protein 1.3 g
- fat 0.3 g
- satfat 0.0 g
- carbohydrate 15 g
- fiber 2.5 g
- sodium 13 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Pull off and discard the bruised cabbage leaves. Rinse cabbage and thinly slice.
In a large bowl, mix 6 tablespoons rice vinegar, sugar, horseradish, red onion, and ginger. Add cabbage and then salt to taste; mix well. For mellower flavor, let salad stand at least 10 minutes, then mix again.
Rinse the pears, and core them. Coarsely chop 1 pear and mix with salad. Slice remaining pear, moisten with a little rice vinegar, and arrange on salad. Sprinkle with chives.