Thought this was very good. 2nd time added more parmesan and subbed parsley for rosemary. Worth keeping in rotation for the cooler months.
Red Onion Soup
Attempting to make a vegetarian French onion soup is a challenge because most versions rely on beef broth. Red wine, tomato paste, and fresh herbs flavor this soup. Don't be tempted to use sweet yellow onions - besides being too sweet, they're also watery.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 264
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 10.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 732mg
- Calcium: 276mg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Cooking spray
- 4 red onions, quartered and thinly sliced crosswise (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Asiago cheese
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, and pepper; cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes or until onions are browned, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium-high; stir in wine and tomato paste. Cook until wine almost evaporates (about 5 minutes). Add water, tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; discard parsley and bay leaves.
- Preheat broiler.
- Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into 6 ovenproof bowls. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Top each serving with 1 bread slice, and sprinkle each bread slice with 2 tablespoons Gruyère and about 1 tablespoon Asiago. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note