Red Onion Marmalade
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 77
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 10.5g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 149mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups thinly sliced red onion (about 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and cook 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in salt and garlic; cook, uncovered, 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in wine, brown sugar, and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates and becomes syrupy.
- Remove from heat; stir in pepper. Cool to room temperature. Discard bay leaf.
- Note: Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments