Red Onion Confit with Merlot and Balsamic Vinegar
Notes: If making up to 3 days ahead, cover airtight and chill. Reheat in a microwave-safe dish in a microwave oven at full power (100%) for about 4 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Yield: Makes about 4 1/2 cups; 10 to 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 155
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 2g
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 73mg
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- About 2 cups Merlot or other dry red wine
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter with olive oil. Add onions and stir often until they're limp and liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 2. Add 2 cups wine and the sugar; stir occasionally until liquid has evaporated and onions are sweet to taste and very tender, about 30 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and salt to taste; stir often until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables