Delicious! But I am the the wife of a professional chef in NYC so I added several ingredients that i know would make it tastier. For example in the yogurt sauce I added 1/2 a lemon, salt, pepper, olive oil. In stew I added, carrots, celery, red curry, sriracha hot sauce, white wine vinegar and generous amounts of salt and pepper. Also, I did not blend stew into a purée. I used my immersion blender but only silightly to keep it chunky. My husband ate 3 bowls and raved about it. Happy cooking!
Red Lentil Stew with Yogurt Sauce
This recipe uses an immersion blender to blend the yogurt sauce and again to roughly puree the lentils.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup lentil mixture and 2 tablespoons yogurt sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 265
- Calories from fat: 10%
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Carbohydrate: 45.1g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 757mg
- Calcium: 119mg
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 1/4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound dried small red lentils
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Combine yogurt and cilantro in beaker of an immersion blender; blend until cilantro is finely chopped. Cover yogurt sauce, and chill.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Add curry; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in lentils. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are very soft. Stir in ginger.
- Using an immersion blender in pan, coarsely puree lentil mixture. Stir in red pepper. Serve lentil mixture with yogurt sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews