Beautifully balanced recipe. Doesn't need any changes. A friend served at a dinner party, and I have enjoyed it at a few other dinner parties since then. Rave reviews by all guests.
Red Lentil Soup
Unlike other dried beans, lentils cook in minutes. For those busy weeknights, serve Red Lentil Soup. This one-soup meal is ready in less than an hour.
More From Southern Living
Total: 55 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 extra-large chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, next 5 ingredients, and 5 cups water.
- 2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in basil just before serving.
- The Sandwich: Layer chutney, Havarti cheese slices, deli pork slices, and Dijon mustard between multigrain bread slices. Spread outside of sandwiches with butter; cook on a hot griddle over medium heat 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note