Beautifully balanced recipe. Doesn't need any changes. A friend served at a dinner party, and I have enjoyed it at a few other dinner parties since then. Rave reviews by all guests.
Red Lentil Soup
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 55 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 extra-large chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, next 5 ingredients, and 5 cups water.
- 2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in basil just before serving.
- The Sandwich: Layer chutney, Havarti cheese slices, deli pork slices, and Dijon mustard between multigrain bread slices. Spread outside of sandwiches with butter; cook on a hot griddle over medium heat 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews