- 1 cup Red Chief or regular brown lentils
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped red or yellow bell peppers
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 cup diced (1/4 in.) cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- calories 147
- caloriesfromfat 34 %
- protein 8.5 g
- fat 5.6 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- carbohydrate 17 g
- fiber 3.5 g
- sodium 105 mg
- cholesterol 7.9 mg
How to Make It
Sort lentils and discard any debris. Rinse and drain lentils.
In a 2- to 3-quart pan, bring about 1 quart water to a boil over high heat. Add lentils, stir to separate, and simmer, uncovered, just until they are tender to bite but not soft, 5 to 10 minutes for Red Chiefs, 20 to 30 minutes for regular lentils. Drain.
Mix vinegar, oil, and garlic. Pour over warm lentils and gently mix. Let stand until cool.
Add bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, cucumber, basil, and feta cheese. Mix gently with lentils. Pour into a serving bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.