Delicious! My 18 y/o son, who is a meat lover, thought these were great. We all enjoyed it. I followed the suggestions, substituted cumin seed for fennel, cilantro for basil. Made sure when flipping that the spatula was as wide as the rice cakes. Served them with spicy roasted sweet potatoes and some sautéed greens. It was a wonderful meal. I will make these again. I also purchased some black bean & corn salsa, instead of making the salsa in recipe. Turned it into a Mexican themed meal. Yummy
Red Lentil-Rice Cakes with Simple Tomato Salsa
Crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside, these salsa-topped, red-lentil rice cakes make a lovely vegetarian entrée. They offer a great way to use leftover basmati rice; if you're starting with cooked rice, use about 1 1/2 cups. Add mixed greens to the plate for even more color.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 279
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 15.9g
- Carbohydrate: 35.8g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 660mg
- Calcium: 142mg
- 3 cups finely chopped plum tomato (about 6 tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 cup dried small red lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1. To prepare salsa, combine first 5 ingredients; set aside at room temperature.
- 2. To prepare cakes, bring 4 cups water and lentils to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Place lentils in a large bowl.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 cup water and rice in pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool 10 minutes. Add rice to lentils.
- 4. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, fennel seeds, and garlic to pan; saute 2 minutes or until tender. Cool 10 minutes. Add to rice mixture. Add mozzarella cheese and remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 5. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Spoon half of rice mixture by 1/3-cupfuls into pan, spreading to form 6 (3-inch) circles; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully turn cakes over; cook 5 minutes on other side. Remove cakes from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining rice mixture. Serve with salsa.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note