The dhal was okay (we might have needed to look harder for better peppers), but the carrot salad was fantastic! When I've brought it to parties/BBQs, people ask me for the recipe every time. I didn't realize it was time consuming before reading the reviews here. It's become a family recipe.
Red Lentil Dal with Carrot Salad and Coriander Flatbreads
This is basically an all-out assault on the bulk bins, as well as our modern take on the rice-and-beans dinner. Spices, dried lentils, and rice are cheap ingredients, especially when you buy in these small quantities. Chiles are also a thrifty flavor booster; you should be able to score the two here for a nickel. Your vegetable peeler will get you nice carrot ribbons. And you'll use your leftover pizza dough from Spinach and Onion Pizza to make the flatbread.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 53 Minutes
- Calories: 410
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 15.5g
- Carbohydrate: 60.2g
- Fiber: 10.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 768mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 5 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup dried small red lentils
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 serrano chiles, minced
- 2 ounces spinach (about 4 cups loosely packed)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups shaved carrot (about 2 large)
- 1 cup thinly vertically sliced onion
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 4 (1-ounce) pieces refrigerated fresh pizza dough (leftover from Spinach and Onion Pizza)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Remaining ingredient:
- 1 1/3 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1. To prepare dal, combine 3 cups water and lentils in a bowl. Let stand 20 minutes; drain.
- 2. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add the chopped onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add ginger and next 6 ingredients (through serranos); sauté for 30 seconds. Add lentils and remaining 2 cups water to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 23 minutes. Stir in spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- 3. To prepare salad, combine 2 tablespoons oil, rind, juice, and sugar in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add carrot, sliced onion, and cilantro; toss to coat.
- 4. To prepare flatbreads, shape each dough portion into a 5-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Coat dough with cooking spray. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Add 2 dough portions to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly charred. Repeat the procedure with remaining dough. Combine coriander and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sprinkle over hot flatbreads. Serve with rice, dal, and salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes