- 2 cups thinly sliced English cucumber
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 red bell pepper (8 oz.), rinsed, stemmed, and seeded
- 3 cups bean sprouts (about 8 oz.), rinsed and drained (see notes)
- 2 cups lightly packed arugula (about 4 oz.), rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla) or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- calories 45
- caloriesfromfat 14 %
- protein 3 g
- fat 0.7 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- carbohydrate 8.1 g
- fiber 1.7 g
- sodium 252 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
In a bowl, mix cucumber and salt; gently crush slices with your hand until they feel limp. Let mixture stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, dice bell pepper into 1/8-inch pieces. Sort through bean sprouts and pinch off and discard any discolored tips. Chop the arugula very coarsely.
In a wide serving bowl (3 to 4 qt.), mix vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, and ginger.
Rinse cucumber slices well in cold water, then squeeze slices gently to remove excess moisture. Add cucumbers, bell peppers, bean sprouts, and arugula to bowl with dressing and mix to coat. Spoon onto plates.