- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 3 tbsp. red curry paste*
- 1 pound ground beef
- About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup coconut milk*
- 2 to 3 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 green onions, sliced white and light green parts only
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp. lime juice
- 4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- calories 624
- caloriesfromfat 52 %
- protein 32 g
- fat 36 g
- satfat 17 g
- carbohydrate 44 g
- fiber 4.3 g
- sodium 762 mg
- cholesterol 74 mg
How to Make It
Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, until shallot begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in red curry paste and cook, stirring, 45 seconds. Add beef and salt, breaking beef into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add coconut milk and sugar, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until most of liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, make slaw: In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, green onions, cilantro, remaining 2 tbsp. oil, and 1 tbsp. lime juice. Toss to coat, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Remove beef from heat and stir in remaining 2 tsp. lime juice. Make sandwiches with beef mixture and slaw.
*Find in the Asian aisle of most grocery stores.