Red Chili Vegetable Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 159
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 234mg
- Cholesterol: 7.6mg
- 1 1/2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground dried New Mexico or California chilies, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled
- 1/2 pound thin-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/2 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- About 1/3 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- About 1/2 cup nonfat or reduced-fat sour cream
- Crisp corn tortilla strips
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium-high heat, combine 1/4 cup broth, onion, and garlic. Cover and stir occasionally until onion is limp, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 2. Add chili, cumin, and oregano; stir about 30 seconds. Add remaining broth, cover, and bring to boiling over high heat.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut carrots diagonally into about 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Cut beans into 2-inch lengths.
- 4. Add carrots and potatoes to pan; cover. When boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes.
- 5. Turn heat to high, uncover, add beans, and when boiling, reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until vegetables are tender to bite, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 6. Ladle into bowls. Add cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips, salt, and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews