- 1 1/2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground dried New Mexico or California chilies, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled
- 1/2 pound thin-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/2 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- About 1/3 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- About 1/2 cup nonfat or reduced-fat sour cream
- Crisp corn tortilla strips
- Salt and pepper
- calories 159
- caloriesfromfat 13 %
- protein 13 g
- fat 2.3 g
- satfat 1.3 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 3.3 g
- sodium 234 mg
- cholesterol 7.6 mg
How to Make It
In a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium-high heat, combine 1/4 cup broth, onion, and garlic. Cover and stir occasionally until onion is limp, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add chili, cumin, and oregano; stir about 30 seconds. Add remaining broth, cover, and bring to boiling over high heat.
Meanwhile, cut carrots diagonally into about 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Cut beans into 2-inch lengths.
Add carrots and potatoes to pan; cover. When boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes.
Turn heat to high, uncover, add beans, and when boiling, reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until vegetables are tender to bite, 5 to 7 minutes.
Ladle into bowls. Add cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips, salt, and pepper to taste.