- 6 dried New Mexico, ancho, or red chile peppers
- 4 cups water
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups torn sourdough bread pieces
How to Make It
Bring chile peppers and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; boil 15 minutes. Drain chile peppers, discarding liquid, and let cool 10 minutes. Remove and discard stems and, if desired, seeds. Chop peppers.
Pulse chile peppers, red bell pepper, and next 5 ingredients 8 times or until finely chopped. Add vinegar, olive oil, and bread; process until smooth (about 30 seconds).