Shiny Red Candy Apples
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner
As enticing as the shiny apple the witch offered Snow White... beware!
Yield: Serves 10
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/4 cup red cinnamon candies
- 10 popsicle sticks
- 10 Granny Smith apples
- Ice water
- Combine sugar, butter, vinegar, boiling water and food coloring in a large heavy metal saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high; boil without stirring about 10 minutes, until mixture reaches the hard-crack stage, or 290° to 310° on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon candies and let stand until bubbles subside.
- Insert sticks into apples. Dip apples into mixture; swirl to coat and dip into ice water to harden candy coating. Place on a lightly buttered baking pan until set. Store in a cool, dry place.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note