- 1 medium-size red cabbage, cleaned and shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 medium apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
How to Make It
Place cabbage in cold water to soak; set aside.
Sauté onion in bacon drippings in a Dutch oven until tender.
Drain cabbage; add to sautéed onion. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Add apple slices, salt, and caraway seeds to cabbage mixture; stir lightly. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until apple slices and cabbage are tender.
Combine vinegar and sugar. Stir into cabbage mixture. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.