This is a wonderful salad, I will definitely prepare this dish again. I didn't make any modifications. The oranges are very refreshing, while the dates and almonds give a variety of textures. And so healthy!! This would be a good for everyday meals and for occasions like family reunions--it could easily be doubled and would hold up well to travel. I had a chicken breast with this salad.
Red Cabbage Salad with Dates
This salad is as healthy as it is tasty: Cabbage, oranges, and almonds contribute potassium and calcium; almonds add monounsaturated fat and phytosterols; and walnut oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Prep Time: about 15 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 138
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 2.7g
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Sodium: 92mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 head red cabbage (20 oz. total), finely shredded
- 3 oranges, peeled and segmented with membranes removed and juices reserved
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, orange segments and their juice, almonds, and dates. Drizzle with walnut oil and lemon juice and mix gently to coat. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note