Very good recipe and colorful. I especially liked the addition of the Granny Smith apples. I did not even bother to peel them. I even had a picky eater like this dish. I will make this dish again.
Red Cabbage and Apples
Apples lend sweetness to the cabbage in this traditional combination.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 medium head red cabbage, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook cabbage and onion in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, peel and chop apples; toss with lemon juice. Stir apple mixture, sugar, salt, and pepper into cabbage mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Red Cabbage and Pears: Prepare recipe as directed, substituting Bartlett pears for apples.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note