Red Berry Pavlova Tower
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham
More From Southern Living
Total: 4 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Parchment paper
- Cheesecake Icing
- Sweetened whipped cream
- 2 pounds assorted fresh red berries (such as sliced strawberries and raspberries)
- 1. Preheat oven to 225°. Whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Beat egg whites at medium-high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer, using whisk attachment, 1 minute; add cream of tartar and salt, beating until blended. Add sugar mixture, 2 Tbsp. at a time, beating until mixture is glossy, stiff peaks form, and sugar dissolves. (Do not overbeat.) Beat in almond extract. Reserve 1 cup meringue.
- 2. Gently spread enough meringue onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet to make a 10-inch round (about 1 to 1 1/2 inches high). Repeat procedure twice on another parchment paper-lined baking sheet, making an 8-inch round and a 6-inch round. Make an indentation in center of each meringue to hold filling.
- 3. Spoon reserved 1 cup meringue into a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Snip 1 corner of bag to make a small hole. Pipe meringue onto baking sheet next to 10-inch round to resemble a large chocolate kiss.
- 4. Bake at 225° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until outsides have formed a crust. Turn oven off; let meringues stand in oven, with door closed, 2 to 10 hours.
- 5. Place 10-inch meringue on a serving plate. Fill indentation with desired amount of icing, whipped cream, and berries. Top with remaining meringue layers, icing, whipped cream, and berries. Top with kiss-shaped meringue. Serve within 1 hour.
Total time includes icing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note