My family absolutely LOVES this recipe. It is great to make it early in the day and just let it simmer on the stove top. I serve it over rice with collards and corn bread. YUM!
Red Beans and Sausage
Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Rose Nguyen
More From Southern Living
- 2 pounds hot hickory-smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (15-oz.) cans red beans, drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons sweet pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1. Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, stirring until sausage is brown. Remove sausage, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven. Sauté bell peppers and next 3 ingredients in hot drippings 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir in red beans and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in sausage. Simmer, covered, 1 1/2 hours.
- 3. Prepare rice according to package directions. Serve Red Beans and Sausage over hot cooked rice.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Bush's Red Beans and Pickapeppa Sauce for sweet pepper sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes