I used brown minute rice. I also added a little bit of sugar and some salt and pepper. The tomatoes I had on hand were basil and oregano flavor....worked fine. I also used lower sodium chicken broth.
Red Beans and Rice With Sausage
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 pound spicy smoked sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Cut smoked sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cook in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until slices are browned. Remove sausage, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan.
- Sauté onion and celery in hot drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes; stir in garlic, 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, and rice; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in broth, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sausage and parsley; let stand, covered, 10 more minutes or until rice is tender. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This