I used brown minute rice. I also added a little bit of sugar and some salt and pepper. The tomatoes I had on hand were basil and oregano flavor....worked fine. I also used lower sodium chicken broth.
Red Beans and Rice With Sausage
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 pound spicy smoked sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Cut smoked sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cook in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until slices are browned. Remove sausage, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan.
- Sauté onion and celery in hot drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes; stir in garlic, 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, and rice; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in broth, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sausage and parsley; let stand, covered, 10 more minutes or until rice is tender. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note