New Orleans Red Beans and Rice with Pickled Peppers
Photo: Johnny Miller
More From Food & Wine
- 4 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 (medium) onion, finely chopped
- 1 inner celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pickled jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Peppadew peppers, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 30 ounces (two cans) red kidney beans
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper
- Steamed white rice, for serving
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery, garlic, pickled jalapeño and 1/4 cup of Peppadews and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the beans with their liquid and the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the liquid is slightly reduced, 8 minutes. Season the beans with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the beans into bowls and top with a mound of rice. Garnish with more Peppadews and serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note