Red Beans and Rice
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup bean mixture, 3/4 cup rice, and 2 tablespoons sour cream)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 358
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Carbohydrate: 65.3g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 584mg
- Calcium: 103mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 1 3/4 cups diced green bell pepper (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (such as Luzianne)
- 2 (16-ounce) cans light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 (3.5-ounce) bags boil-in-bag rice
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients. Cook 8 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring often.
- 2. Add seasoning, and cook 1 minute, stirring often. Add beans and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer mixture over medium-low heat 20 minutes.
- 3. While bean mixture simmers, prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Set aside 4 1/2 cups cooked rice; reserve remaining rice for another use.
- 4. Serve bean mixture over rice; top with sour cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes