Red Beans and Rice
Yield: Makes 15 cups
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried red beans
- 10 cup water
- 1 ham bone*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked sausage, sliced
- Hot cooked rice
- Bring first 10 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Add to bean mixture; simmer 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Serve over hot cooked rice.
- * 1/2 pound smoked ham hocks may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes