Red Beans and Sausage
Authenticate red bean and sausage recipe. Traditionally Cajuns prepared the red beans and sausage then served the beans and sausage over rice which is the way this dish is prepared. This is a different from some fast food chicken places in which the rice is cooked with the bean and sausage mixture. (recipe taken from realcajunrecipes.com)
- 1 pound(s) red kidney beans
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 pound(s) smoked sausage cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 ham-bone with some meat on it. Optional but wonderful to use.
- 1 bay leaf
- red pepper to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- water to cover beans
- Wash beans. In a large Dutch oven or cast iron pot, cover in cold water and soak overnight. When ready to cook, add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf and ham-bone. Add enough additional water to cover the beans at least 3 inches above their marker. Cook slowly stirring occasionally until beans are tender. Time will vary from 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking mash some of the beans to thicken the gravy. Add the smoked sausage and season to taste with salt and pepper. The heat may be increased to evaporate excess water if the beans have a too watery gravy or water added to make more gravy. Do stir to prevent sticking. Serve over steamed rice.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by LeaBraun and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note