Red Bean Soup with Walnuts
Yield: 9 cups
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 to 4 tablespoons tarragon or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans; let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Combine beans, broth, and salt in Dutch oven; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Drain beans, reserving 3 cups liquid. Mash beans with the back of a spoon, and return to Dutch oven. Stir in reserved liquid.
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a skillet until tender. Stir in walnuts and next 3 ingredients.
- Add walnut mixture to beans, and cook until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cilantro and parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews